Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A Win for Obama

Josh Marshall:
This debate struck me as a marginal victory for Obama on points, but because of the state of the race a substantial victory in terms of the overall race.  Obama more than held his own.  I think Obama's answers were more coherent.  And there were several exchanges where I think Obama had very strong answers, which I noted in the live blogging.  That said, McCain did fine.  I think his supporters will think he put in a solid performance.  But the bottom line is that right now McCain is losing.  He has to shake things up.  But he didn't.
...simply on terms of substance, clarity, empathy, style and authority, this has not just been an Obama victory.  It has been a wipe-out.  It has been about as big a wipe-out as I can remember in a presidential debate.  It reminds me of the 1992 Clinton-Perot-Bush debate.  I don't really see how the McCain campaign survives this.
CW says that John McCain had a 90 minute window to turn his campaign around - to put into play the McCain Resurgence Strategy, if you will, and if that's the CW threshold, I don't think McCain met it.
...I'm going to say that things are unchanged, which is advantage: Obama.  On the bright side, I called the first two debates for the GOP, so for all I know this is going to turn out to be EPIC WIN for McCain.
Thankfully, it's over.  It was a terrible debate format, Tom Brokaw disappointed, McCain was incoherent, snivelling and condescending.  Obama appeared Presidential.

No comments: