Sunday, October 26, 2008

Stupid Lieberman

Joe Lieberman is now making a point of saying that he "respects" Obama:

"When I go out, I say, 'I have a lot of respect for Sen. Obama. He's bright. He's eloquent.' Someday, I might even support him for president," Lieberman told a conference call of Connecticut reporters. "But now in the midst of this series of crises, John McCain is simply so much better prepared that that's who I am proud to support."

Lieberman also said that if McCain doesn't, "I'm going to do everything I can to be bringing people ... together across party lines to support the new president so he can succeed."

This seems like a serious change of pace, to say the least, for Lieberman to be talking about how much he likes Obama and how he could potentially support him for president down the road. Indeed, it invites questions about what might have prompted Lieberman's change of tone.

Lieberman, Lieberman. I have had about enough of Joe Lieberman. I find him to be so completely full of it that I don't even know what to say anymore.

It started with Iraq, I guess. I'll always respect a person's right to believe what he or she chooses to believe, even if it's something as toxic and terrible as the Iraq War. But Joe Lieberman is a smart guy. He ran as the Democratic nominee for VP in 2000, and it made me proud that, as the product of a Jewish family, he had ascended to such a high place in our society.

I suppose that, because I once felt some kind of affection and connection with him, I am more disgusted with him now. His continued support of McCain - and his outwardly negative treatment of Obama, no matter what he says - has enraged me. He's still a Democrat on everything but Iraq, and has decided to base his 2008 presidential endorsement entirely on the basis of foreign policy. But McCain's judgment regarding Iraq was and is so wrong, and his behavior regarding everything in general is erratic and frightening, and yet Lieberman has refused to budge.

For crying out loud, Obama now has Colin Powell, Doug Kmiec, Michael Smerconish, Christopher Buckley, Susan Eisenhower, Christopher Hitchens, Ken Adelman and God knows how many other conservatives in his corner. They all cite the same reasons: temperament and Palin. But Lieberman, stupid Lieberman, still bases his decision solely on Iraq. If you're gonna make a choice for president based on one sole criterion, fine, that's your prerogative. But if that's the case, at least get it right. And Lieberman is just flat-out wrong.

No comments: