Monday, September 29, 2008

Gold Star Winner: September 29, 2008

Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA)
Big Bailout Supporter
Openly Gay Member of Congress

Here's Frank on the House GOP's claim that the bailout bill failed because they were miffed at a partisan speech on the House floor by Nancy Pelosi:

"Here's the story.  There's a terrible crisis affecting the American economy.  We have come together on a bill to alleviate the crisis.  And because somebody hurt their feelings they decide to punish the country.  I mean, I would not have imputed that degree of pettiness and hypersensitivity... But think about this: Somebody hurt my feelings so I will punish the country.  I mean, that's hardly plausible.  And there are 12 Republican members who were ready to stand up for the economic interests of America but not if anybody insulted them... I think they are covering up the embarrassment of not having the votes... I'll make an offer.  Give me those 12 people's names and I will go talk uncharacteristically nicely to them and tell them what wonderful people they are and maybe they'll now think about the country."

Well said, Barney, and congratulations!

No comments: