Sunday, September 28, 2008

Back (and Better Than Ever?)

Okay, so I'm back on the East Coast.

Since I left the tri-state area for the rocky hills of the Bay Area, crazy things have happened.  Sarah Palin spoke to Katie Couric, John McCain kinda-maybe-not really suspended his campaign, Barack Obama won the first presidential debate, the Mets blew another shot at the postseason and the Phillies are once again National League East champions.

Being on the West Coast is always a therapeutic experience for me.  The air is fresher and the mood is calmer than the frantic, frenetic East.  San Francisco itself is a truly incredible city: it is a a progressive, modern, urban environment sprawled atop a breathtakingly beautiful natural environment; in many ways, I find it to be the Last Great Hope for America.  Its citizens are friendly, open-minded, informed and diverse.  Everyone seems to be in a good mood. I would be too, I suppose, if I lived there.

But I'm back now, and I feel refreshed and recharged from the experience, and also from the things that happened while I was gone.  I am at an all-time high in confidence that Barack Obama will be our next President, and am eagerly anticipating the Phillies' second-straight postseason appearance.  With the economy in ruins and the future of our country seemingly hanging in a tenuous balance, the world at large seems to be on the precipice of disaster.  But from my relatively small, singular vantage point, things right now are looking up.  And that I will cherish.

It's good to be back.

No comments: